[Kde-games-devel] How to overwrite a KCFG setting?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 07:33:40 UTC 2013

In a board-style game, the size of the board may be a config item. It certainly
is in KJumpingCube.

If the user changes the board size, it is necessary to clear the board and
start a new game. I would like to offer the user a chance to override that and
not automatically lose a game that is in progress if he/she accidentally clicked
a new board size in the settings dialog generated by KCFG and Qt Designer.

Here is some code that seems to work if I want to put the board size
back as it was and continue the current game:

    ((KConfigSkeleton::ItemInt *) (Prefs::self()->findItem ("CubeDim")))->
                    setValue (previousCubeDim);
    Prefs::self()->writeConfig();

Is this OK? It seems a bit hairy to me, i.e. dependent on too many details
of kdelibs and internals of KCFG, any of which may change in future.

All the best, Ian W.