[Kde-games-devel] Review Board, Apple and a patch for Palapeli

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 23:10:48 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

Next year is an important anniversary for me - 50 years since
I got my first job as a programmer.  I plan to celebrate it by
adding some features to Palapeli, fixing some bugs in games
I maintain (KGoldrunner, Kubrick, KSudoku and KJumpingCube)
and then retiring from KDE Games maintenance, hoping someone
else can take over the games I maintain.

My first Palapeli feature is an option to preview an image of the
completed puzzle in a floating "tool" window.  This is analogous
to the top of the box in which real-world jigsaw puzzles come.

The code was originally submitted to this list, as a patch file,
by Johannes Löhnert, in 2010, but it was never adopted and
committed to Palapeli, although it worked rather well and I found
it very useful, especially on puzzles with large numbers of pieces.

This time around, I found that Palapeli had changed its window
interfaces and puzzle-file management a fair bit since 2010, so
although Johannes' original PuzzlePreview class is essentially
the same, I have had to re-write the UI and image-retrieval code.

Now here is the problem …  I have obtained Johannes' go-ahead
to re-submit this code and was planning to do so via Review Board.
However, looking at http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Review_Board,
it seems I need extra utilities (rbtools) and some fancy GIT commands.

I am developing on an Apple Macbook Pro, so I do not have access
to the rbtools.  Also the "gittery" involved is way beyond my git skills
(I find I tend to forget most of what I know about git after a month or
two away from it).

So how else might I submit this feature?  It is currently fully coded and
tested against Palapeli master and sitting on a local branch in my
Macbook, where it has had two commits.

I am tempted to simply merge it with master and commit it, but I am not
the maintainer of Palapeli.

ATM I do not think there is a maintainer.  We have not seen Stefan for
a while.  If you are out there, Stefan, perhaps you have a view on this.

Any ideas?
All the best, Ian W.