[Kde-games-devel] GPL licenses in games, especially kigo

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Sep 11 10:48:26 UTC 2012

El Dimarts, 11 de setembre de 2012, a les 07:58:31, Sascha Peilicke va
escriure:
> Am 10.09.2012 19:32, schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> > El Dilluns, 10 de setembre de 2012, a les 08:33:24, Wolfgang Rohdewald va
> >
> > escriure:

> > No, you are not right, we do not allow GPLv3 code in KDE, not because it's
> > not "legal" but because we do not allow it.
>
> I am sorry, it seems like I must have missed that back then.
> Unfortunately, I can't recall that _we_ ever made that decision.
>
> > If kigo went in being GPL3, that's a big mistake of whoever did the
> > review.
>
> Albert, this game was discussed as any other on the kdegames list,
> stayed it's two weeks in review and nobody complained.

I know, and it is sad noone noticed.

> Even if we have
> such a rule, I doubt it's value. It's an application, not a library.

On the contrary, it has huge value, by guaranting all code in all of the KDE
repos use the same licenses (GPLv2+) it guarantees i can go and get code from
kigo and implement it in any of the other KDE games or KDE applications
without breaking the license. Right now any code that first goes to kigo and
then to other kdegame (like let's say some porting to some new framework) is
potentially in breach of the licenses of those other games.

> > But it has to be changed to one of the license combinations Wolfgang said.
>
> And as I replied to him, I'm totally fine with relicensing (to whatever
> FSF license our intellectual purity rules will fit to) and I added my
> statement to the relicensing wiki page.

Thanks, I'll see which other people has commited to kigo and try to get their
agreement in a relicensement to GPLv2+ (which i understand it's ok with you if
i read http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_Relicensing correctly).

Cheers,
  Albert