[Kde-games-devel] GPL licenses in games, especially kigo

Wolfgang Rohdewald wolfgang at rohdewald.de
Mon Sep 10 01:12:18 UTC 2012

As Albert noted, since we now have a git repository per game, every game
now needs its own COPYING and COPYING.DOC

Up to now 11 games already had a file COPYING, in 9 different versions.
Mostly whitespace differences, it seems.

But kigo is licensed under GPL v3.
I understand http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_Relicensing such
that v3 in KDE is not possible. Linking v2 and v3 code together in one
project is not possible, but this seems to happen in kigo.

Sascha, did you choose v3 on purpose when you imported kigo to
playground in 2008 (btw aboutdata also says v3), or would you
agree to change it to v2?

If so, would all other authors also have to agree with that change,
and could I simply do that, or should it be done by the original author?
http://quickgit.kde.org/index.php?p=kigo.git&a=blob&h=10926e87f113fb026c366866d6fa466061562870&hb=a59209c7dcdf972b49f18c70eba000e77dc6aa00&f=COPYING

--
Wolfgang