[Kde-games-devel] Cannot use "git push"

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 22:32:09 UTC 2012

On 23/10/2012, at 5:53 AM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dilluns, 22 d'octubre de 2012, a les 21:53:44, Ian Wadham va escriure:
>> My last successful "git push" was Saturday 2012-10-20 11:34 am UTC, late on
>> Saturday evening my time.  During the 48 hours since then, I have been
>> trying to push other changes, but keep getting the message:
>>
>>    fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
>>
>> Does anyone know what is going on?  Or how I can find out what the problem
>> is?
>
> What does
>  GIT_TRACE=true
>  export GIT_TRACE
>  YOUR_GIT_COMMAND_HERE
> say?

@Albert: It is not any more informative … :-)

Tara:/kdedev/games/kjumpingcube>GIT_TRACE=true
Tara:/kdedev/games/kjumpingcube>export GIT_TRACE
Tara:/kdedev/games/kjumpingcube>git push origin master
trace: built-in: git 'push' 'origin' 'master'

@Wolfgang:
Tara:/kdedev/games/kjumpingcube>git --version
trace: built-in: git 'version'
git version 1.7.5.4

If it is an authentication failure, I don't see how it could be caused while
I slept on Saturday night, unless something in the host changed …

Tara:~>git ls-remote git at git.kde.org:/kjumpingcube
works OK, so I think I can at least connect and "log in" to the repo.

One of my tries, out of 20 or so, did come up with a message about
not being able to access anongit.  And the IP address was for "mason",
which is one host (out of the four anongit hosts) that does not like
Australia for some reason.  Sysadmin put me onto that info.

I don't know why anongit would get involved in a "git push", but I doubt
if "mason" is always involved when "git push" fails for me. I can never
access "mason" and I dread the days when it is "on duty", but anongit
is a bit like Russian roulette for me - I have a 0.75 chance of success … ;-)
Can we go back to SVN now … ?  … :-)

Cheers, Ian W.

P.S. This is my ~/.gitconfig setup.

Tara:/kdedev/games/kjumpingcube>cat ~/.gitconfig
[url "git://anongit.kde.org/"]
	insteadOf = kde:
[url "git at git.kde.org:"]
	pushInsteadOf = kde: