[Kde-games-devel] Dock widget in KReversi

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Sat May 19 16:19:55 UTC 2012

I have been away some time from KReversi development and in the mean time a
lot of good things have happened, like the port to QGraphicsWidget.

Unfortunately also some not so good things have happened, and there is
especially one that I wonder about.

In svn revision 1240603 Stefan Majewsky wrote the following log message:

> KReversi: replace layout in centralWidget by dock widget

This is about the widget that contains the move list of the current game. I
wonder about the reason for this change.  I cannot see a single improvement
for the user and there seems to be a pretty serious bug associated with it:

A dock widget can normally be removed from the main window and so is also the
case for KReversi.  However, I didn't see a way for me to put it back into the
main window. And since the state of the UI is saved, it starts as a separate
window also when I restart the application. If the dock window is moved very
slowly towards the right edge of the application, a thin line can be seen
which could be the place to put it back.  But this leads me to problem #2,
which is even worse.

When I approached the thin line with the dock window, KReversi crashed. And
ever since then it crashes immediately after every time I try to restart it. I
even tried to remove kreversirc in ~/.kde/share/config, but that doesn't seem
to affect anything since the crash still happens. I haven't tried to restart
my whole KDE to see if it's some kind of cache, but I will retry once I have
to restart at some point.

But even so, we cannot expect the user to remove kreversirc or even know about
that file. I would be interested to know what the idea behind the change was
and how it can be fixed.

	-Inge