[Kde-games-devel] Bomber missing sound file: explode.ogg

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 02:03:10 UTC 2012

I beg to differ.

On 13/03/2012, at 5:43 AM, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Mehmet Emre <maemre2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Then I'll remove the complete KgSound code since this was the only sound
>> that's played.
>
> That's an unexpectedly elegant solution to the double-patch problem.

Or an over-zealous response to a problem in an unmaintained program?

The proper action (IMHO) would be to keep the code until we decide
what to do about it, but probably enclose the sound code in #ifdefs.  That
way it will not be carrying about the Phonon baggage unnecessarily,
will not be misleading users with a setting that is non-operational and
will be easily visible to a new maintainer of Bomber.

The real solution would be to find out whether it was absolutely necessary to
delete the explode.ogg file.  That is surely beyond the scope of what we can
expect Mehmet to do.  Looking at the SoundsCredits.txt file on WebSVN, the
sound seems to have had a Creative Commons licence, which is not the
same as GPL but not necessarily "incompatible" (depends on which flavour
of Creative Commons it is), otherwise much artwork and some other sound
files might be at risk...

>> I may also remove the settings about sound too. Should I remove them?
>
> Of course (from my POV). Dead code just rots.

Code does not rot of its own accord.  It falls prey to fungi called "library
upgrades" … :-) This is a disease of the KDE/Qt environment (IME and
from my POV).  I call it "library generated maintenance" … :-)

I have even had live code go "dead" because of "semantic drift" in kdelibs.
The code in question always compiled and built OK, but at some point was
no longer doing the same thing … ;-)

Cheers, Ian W.