[Kde-games-devel] ksokoban

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 12:35:42 UTC 2012

Hi  Łukasz,

On 22/07/2012, at 6:48 PM, Łukasz Kalamłacki wrote:
> I am software developer and I have just rewritten ksokoban game from kde 3 to kde 4 so that the game can be executed without qt3 or qt3support libraries, The one thing have left, preparation of makefiles.

That's very interesting.  Back about five years ago some members of our group
looked at KSokoban's KDE 3 code and decided it was too difficult to port and would
have to be re-written.  We had twenty or thirty games to port at that time and we just
did not have the resources to re-write any games, so we had to let KSokoban go.
Have you re-written it from scratch or have you ported the KDE 3 KSokoban code?

Later I started to re-write KSokoban, but then another guy came along with a re-write of
KSokoban called Magazynier.  He was ahead of me in his work, so I agreed to stop.

Unfortunately, Magazynier never got finished.  You can find it in SVN playground.
See http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/games/magazynier/

The problem with porting the original KDE 3 KSokoban was that it contained a
large slab of uncommented C-like code that generated other C-like code, that got
compiled and linked back in --- a bit like going from London to Paris via Moscow.
That code was very difficult to understand.

So I am interested to know exactly what you have done - a re-write or a port?   If a port,
there was more to do than just replacing KDE and Qt library references.  Can you tell
us more?  And is your code on a repository somewhere?  Is it tested and working?

> Do you think that ksokoban could be included in kde-games 4 package again?
> Who decides about this?

I would dearly like to see that happen, but the quality and maintainability of
the original KSokoban code was not good.  I was not the only person who
thought so.  All the games that failed to get into KDE 4 were put to a vote.

Anyway, please tell us more.  And please have a look at Magazynier.  Is it
anywhere near complete?

Cheers, Ian W.