[Kde-games-devel] Minutes from the kdegames BoF

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzer at kde.org
Sat Jul 7 21:13:18 UTC 2012

Am Donnerstag, 5. Juli 2012, 13:02:10 schrieb Stefan Majewsky:

Moin,

> 1. It would be nice to have a games bug triaging day after the 4.9
> release (great for marketing: "Fun bug fixing!"). A cleaned up bug
> database would help identify which games are in need of attention,
> so we as a team can try to assign some priority to them.

+1

> 2. The maintainers list
> http://community.kde.org/KDE_Games/Maintainers partially contains
> data from several years ago. We should consider pinging the
> maintainers, and then really unconditionally remove them from the
> list if they don't update the timestamp and thus commit to their
> continued maintainership.

+1

> 3. I heard of people who wanted to write new games, but did not do
> so because of our policy of not including new games. We should
> refine our messaging about this new policy: It seems not to be
> clear to outside contributors that there is no "access
> restriction" to extragear/games.

Hmm, I always understood that restriction as "no new games as GSoC
projects". I heard complaints that kdegames is closed and will die
that way and was wondering about that.

We had a meeting once talking about reducing the size of the module.
Back then I voted against dropping unmaintained games. Just to make it
clear, I meant: "do not drop games _just_ because they are
unmaintained". If there are other reasons (unmaintainable/man-power,
just voted to not be good enough anymore, ...) then I might be in
favour of dropping a few games. Nothing particular in mind, just in
general.

> 4. Albert asked about our strategy for mobile platforms. There are
> valid arguments for and against going mobile ("we lack manpower
> already" vs. "this can attract new developers"). Did we ever have a
> thorough discussion about this?

Personally I am not a mobile guy. I have a very old cell phone for
emergency purposes and a normal laptop and that's about it. So I do
not know anything about the needs and demands of mobile platforms.

> 5. Is anyone still working on the Git conversion? We might want to
> ping kde-scm-interest to see if Nicolas Alvarez et.al. might be
> able to help us with finishing up the conversion rules and testing
> them.

My spare time has reduced dramatically recently. That might change
again but for now, weekends are pretty much cancelled.

Regards