[Kde-games-devel] Move to git now?

Frederik Scharzer schwarzer at kde.org
Tue Jan 31 16:26:15 UTC 2012

Am Montag, 30. Januar 2012, 20:27:21 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> El Dilluns, 30 de gener de 2012, a les 18:28:59, Stefan Majewsky va
escriure:
> > Moin,
> >
> > I'm just thinking about git vs. SVN again. Git would be very
> > beneficial because the libkdegames5 work can start right now, in
> > a branch. One of the main arguments against a git move currently
> > does not hold: We are just past a major release, so it's not a
> > big problem if development stalls a bit now because of the
> > conversion.
> >
> > But still, the problems with data files in git are not solved.
> > Can we please do this now? In the other mail, I thought about
> > migrating only libkdegames to git, and leaving the games in SVN.
> > But that won't work. The games need to have a v5 branch, too, so
> > changes in libkdegames5 can be tested.
>
> Things that need to be decided:
>  * Data goes into the same repo than code or not?
>      My vote is that data is one with code and they should stick
> together
>
>  * One repo per app or a global repo
>      My vote is that since I want data to stick with code and we do
> not want a huge repo we might want to split the repos
>
> Anyway, whatever the decision is we still *need* someone to do the
> *work*.

Since we did these opinion gathering several times now, I decided to
start a wiki page where we could manage all this so it will be more
visible than the mailing list.

Please add yourself to the first table. I hope it is not too messy. I
did not figure out how to get lined between the cells otherwise.
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games/MoveToGit

The second table should be started properly. I think there was a good
one somewhere on techbase, but I do not remember where and do not have
time to look for it now.

I hope this will make things more clear.

Regards