[Kde-games-devel] Move to git now?

Wolfgang Rohdewald wolfgang at rohdewald.de
Thu Feb 2 03:50:09 UTC 2012

Am Donnerstag, 2. Februar 2012, 12:14:19 schrieb Ian Wadham:
> So if we move to git, what will be the benefits for individual programmers
> and for the KDE Games group in making the change?  Will the gains in
> productivity (churning out games code) outweigh the effort involved in
> changing?  How do we know?

I always used git locally with the git-svn bridge and for me, working with
git is definitively more productive.
I have much more fine grained control over exactly what I commit and
when I do it. For me, it is important to keep relevant commits as
small as possible so I split off many refactorings or other cosmetic
changes.
git stash is very helpful, something svn does not have.
git bisect for binary search of regressions cannot be done with svn.

but all that does not matter - after most of KDE has gone git,
all of it should.

--
Wolfgang