[Kde-games-devel] Move to git now?

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 15:31:56 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 07:34, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Frederik Scharzer wrote:
>> Maybe we can send him cookies and beer so he is willing to continue
>> his work? :)
>
> Help from a svn2git expert would be very nice, indeed.
>
> For example, we should ideally convert the gzipped SVG files (*.svgz)
> to plain SVG in Git, and let Git apply its compression (which is only
> good for text files). I'd like to know whether there's a way to
> convert *.svgz files to plain *.svg during the svn2git run.

Converting SVGZ to SVG in the history was dismissed as an option
because it would break the build for past tags/revisions. What
PovAddict came up with (in what I consider to be a stroke of genius)
was to decompress the SVGZ files and recompress them with zero
compression, so that the file is a valid SVGZ (it has a valid GZip
header) but whose contents are visible to Git as plain text.

Parker