[Kde-games-devel] Problems with standalone KDE Game build

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 10:46:48 UTC 2012

On 27/08/2012, at 7:29 PM, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> Am Montag, 27. August 2012, 00:50:02 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
>> Yes, games that use the new libkdegames should require the new libkdegames.
>
> so now I changed all games containing the string KGameRenderer. Are there
> any other games needing libkdegames 4.9.0?
>
> M       bomber/CMakeLists.txt
> M       kbattleship/CMakeLists.txt
> M       granatier/CMakeLists.txt
> M       klickety/CMakeLists.txt
> M       knetwalk/CMakeLists.txt
> M       killbots/CMakeLists.txt
> M       kbounce/CMakeLists.txt
> M       kbreakout/CMakeLists.txt
> M       kolf/CMakeLists.txt
> M       kollision/CMakeLists.txt
> M       klines/CMakeLists.txt
> M       kdiamond/CMakeLists.txt
> M       kmines/CMakeLists.txt
> M       katomic/CMakeLists.txt
> M       kreversi/CMakeLists.txt
> M       kpat/CMakeLists.txt

Yes: any that are not in the above set and use one of the "Kg" classes or
maybe even one of Stefan's "kitten killers", i.e. the deprecated classes
that have been move into libkdegamesprivate/.  But ask Stefan.  He
made the changes …  He might even have some scripts that would help.

The code using libkdegamesprivate/ should contain lines like:

    #define USE_UNSTABLE_LIBKDEGAMESPRIVATE_API
    #include <libkdegamesprivate/blahblah>

where "blahblah" is something like "kgamecanvas.h".

The "Kg" classes are:

    KgAudioScene
    KgDifficulty
    KgSound
    KgTheme
    KgThemeProvider
    KgThemeSelector

but Stefan said he plans to add more.  The three KgTheme* classes
tend to be used alongside KGameRenderer, so their usage is probably
included in the list of games you wrote above.

Several games are using KgSound or KgDifficulty or should be changing
over to them soon, from Phonon and the deprecated KGameDifficulty.

On the whole I think it might be easiest for *every* game from now on to
"require" libkdegames 4.9.0, even if it actually does not.

Also, it is likely to be an ongoing feature of the standalone world that we
have to keep changing to libkdegames 4.10.0, and so on, as the library
evolves.  Unless of course Stefan has abandoned the work he was doing
on KDE Games libraries … :-)

Is there any way to make the standalone CMake use a script or a symbol?
What did other modules do if they had local libraries? e.g. KDE Edu?

Cheers, Ian W.