[Kde-games-devel] State of playground/picmi

Jakob Gruber jakob.gruber at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 11:23:29 UTC 2012

Hi,

I haven't been able to do much work on picmi since this semester started
at university, and I probably won't be able to do much more until ~July.
A short update of its current state:

The major recent addition is preset levels - levels that are made by
hand and actually represent a recognizable cute image when solved. There
are now 51 levels of various difficulty included. In the top left
corner, a small overview of the current level is displayed.

Since some of these puzzles are fairly hard and not solvable without
backtracking, I've also added save states.

There are only a couple of smallish things missing until I'd consider it
ready for a wider audience, namely:

* A frontend for save state management. Right now, these are only
accessible through keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl-S and Ctrl-L by default),
and these are not exposed to the normal user. Either menu entries or a a
sidebar similar to gnome-sudoku would be nice.

* An improved level selection window. The current window consists of a
plain level list (unsolved ones are shown as '???'), level information
and a level picture if solved. It would be good to be able to sort /
filter these in some way.

Once all of this is done, of course docs need to be updated to reflect
all the things that have happened since I wrote them.

The reason I'm writing this is to let you know that I didn't dump this
code in the repos just to abandon it. I'm here and will keep working on
this. However, there won't be much activity from my side until the
summer. So, if anybody is interested in working on this, please do!
There isn't much left to do to get this into a presentable state.

On my wishlist are also updated graphics. I made the current ones myself
and they could be a lot nicer :) I'm not sure who usually does KDE games
graphics, but I'd be *very* grateful to anybody who could help update them.

Jakob

Project page: https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/games/picmi
Repository: git clone git://anongit.kde.org/picmi