[Kde-games-devel] GIT Conversion status

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 03:04:11 UTC 2012

On 26/04/2012, at 4:30 AM, Stefan Majewsky wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Viranch Mehta <viranch.mehta at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am a GSoC student, going to be working on KBreakout. I would like to
>> know its Git conversion status. I have extensively worked with Git and I
>> would prefer doing this project also with Git, since I am not too familiar
>> with
>> SVN. The fact that I have to be connected to the internet for making each
>> SVN commit makes me kind of uncomfortable.
>
> I propose the following workflow:
>
> 1. We import the source tree of KBreakout and KDiamond into two
> scratch repos, without any history. The initial commit will also patch
> the build system as required.
> 2. The students then push their work to these repos.
> 3. When kdegames is converted to Git, the students can easily move to
> the new origin repositories using a three-point rebase. (I'm familiar
> with this process and can post a detailed explanation once this
> becomes relevant.
>
> If this is okay for the students and the mentors, I'll go ahead and
> create the required repos with the required build system patches.

Hmmmm … I was proposing, on the "deliverables" thread, that the QML
students should work in playground/games or the GIT equivalent. Isn't
that where new contributions usually go?  I would not like to see QML
code and C++ code intermixed in the release stream until we are ready
to start releasing QML games.

Of course, the students might need to modify existing C++ code, but not
in a way that should affect C++ execution IIUC (e.g. adding Q_PROPERTY).
So those changes could go forward in trunk and into 4.9 if required, without
any risk of forking or difficult merges later.

I should point out, too, that Roney has KBreakout on his list for porting
to QGraphicsView (I think it already uses KGameRenderer).  Will that
be a problem?  Should I ask him to pick another game to port?

Cheers, Ian W.