[Kde-games-devel] KDE Games on GSoC

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 03:06:58 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

Here is an update.  But first, two important points:

1. @ Pankaj.  You wrote to me two days ago to say you had applied
    to be a mentor.  Are you in or out?  A lot depends on your answer,
    such as how many GSoC projects KDE Games might have in total.

2. @ Viranch.  I am not comfortable that you are starting a job in July and
     that GSoC does not finish until 20 August and mid-term payments are
     due on 13 July.  Is it a full-time job with an employer?  Will you have to
     re-locate?  I have a lifetime of work experience and I can tell you that
     starting a new job is usually all-consuming.  You would need to give
     us a cast-iron guarantee that you will finish the GSoC job, whatever
     it takes.  I like your proposal and the fact that you have done QML work
     for Plasma before.  Please reassure us and please write to me privately
     if you would like things to remain confidential.

The good news is that we have an experienced QML guy and GSoC
mentor, David Edmundson, who has agreed to act as a co-mentor re
the technicalities of QML.  So we could have at least one QML project,
with me as mentor re admin and KDE Games technicalities and David
as co-mentor re QML.

I have asked for three KDE "slots" and said four would be "awesome".

If Pankaj joins David and me, we should be able cover whatever slots
we are allocated in the final countdown to 20 April, when slots, applicants
and mentors must be all matched up.

Meanwhile, if you are able to, please score our projects on
http://www.google-melange.com  I think you need just a Google account
to do that.  Or maybe you need to be a mentor.  KDE is following the
convention of 1 star, no good; 2 stars, good and 3 stars, very good.

The more votes we get the better our chances of projects being accepted.

On 08/04/2012, at 9:40 PM, Ian Wadham wrote:
> This is to let you know that I decided at the last minute to apply to be a
> mentor for KDE Games and was accepted about 24 hours ago.
>
> <snip>
> I find it difficult to say more on this list.  So much stuff is private until
> slots are allocated and proposals accepted.  Also I do not feel I can
> represent the group adequately on the QML front.
>
> Any ideas on how we can act more as a group on this? Stefan?

Guys, how about some support here?  I feel like the little Dutch boy with
his finger in the dyke … :-)

Cheers, Ian W.