[Kde-games-devel] Data files and the Git move

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Sep 5 09:57:55 UTC 2011

A Diumenge, 4 de setembre de 2011, Stefan Majewsky vàreu escriure:
> Hi folks,
>
> I think it should be clear that we need to move to git somewhen, and
> it is well known that I think it should happen sooner rather than
> later. There are established processes for building split repos, so
> the only problem left IMO is the problem of data files.
>
> The matter has been discussed before [1]. The executive summary of the
> current situation is:
> 1. 76% of a kdegames checkout is data files. [2]
> 2. Git is bad for handling binary files: All history is downloaded
> when you clone the repo. The way how GIt compresses the history is
> aimed at text files, not at binary files. I think to remember that
> someone who used the svn2git rules on the whole kdegames history with
> data arrived at a 500MB repository, which is five times the size of
> kdelibs.
>
> So the questions which need to be solved before the git transition
> are: Where will the data reside? And, if in a separate repository, how
> do the dependencies look like?
>
> My answer is: Data shall stay in SVN (in a new module kdegames-data)
> for now, and be handled like the kde-wallpapers module after that. I
> previously wanted kdegames-data to depend on kdegames, but I see that
> the reverse dependency (kdegames depending on kdegames-data) is much
> more obvious. Also, it's good for application developers who can use
> the distribution's packages for kdegames-data, instead of having to
> clone it from the server.
>
> Can we do this?

Personally i think this is a very bad thing to do.

Wallpapers are optional and have nothing to do with development, so having
them in a remote place is ok.

kdegames data is a integral part of games (most of the times you can not use
them without the data). Keeping them in a separate repo is going to make
maintainance harder and the random volunteer contributions much more scarce
than they are now (since they will have trouble getting the game even to stard
and move their focus somewhere else)

Albert