[Kde-games-devel] Data files and the Git move

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 21:42:54 UTC 2011

On 15/10/2011, at 4:35 AM, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Stefan Majewsky
> <stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> My answer is: Data shall stay in SVN (in a new module kdegames-data)
>> for now, and be handled like the kde-wallpapers module after that. I
>> previously wanted kdegames-data to depend on kdegames, but I see that
>> the reverse dependency (kdegames depending on kdegames-data) is much
>> more obvious. Also, it's good for application developers who can use
>> the distribution's packages for kdegames-data, instead of having to
>> clone it from the server.
>>
>> Can we do this?
>
> Guys, we really need to solve this.

Why?

> I'd rather chew off my leg than
> being on SVN for yet another release cycle.

I think I would rather do that myself than go through yet another change
of source code control system ... :-)  It would be about my tenth, including
three in KDE ... :-)

FWICS the benefits (to me) of changing would be measured in seconds
here and there, as opposed to hours or days making the change, getting
up to speed on git, etc.  This is time that I can not afford at present, especially
on something so unproductive and with such negative cost/benefit.

No doubt the same would be true for those few active developers we have
left on KDE Games.  We cannot afford to be unproductive during the leadup
to the various freezes in the 4.8 release cycle.

ATM I have a major mod to KSudoku to work on, which is to fix a 2-year old
problem (bug) in that package.  I also have a new KGoldrunner contributor
who has composed two new sets of levels and is working on a third.  I would
like to get the translatable strings in the first two sets edited and committed
before the feature freeze.

I cannot see how I can get these things done *and* cope with a changeover
to git.  In addition, I have a real deadline to meet (1 November) [1] for changes
to a subscription system in Windows that I work on for a group I belong to ...
and to cap it all off my Windows/Linux machine (dual-boot) just died ... :-)

> I'll start a new thread on this here and on k-c-d
> (which has to decide on module layout changes).

I hope to find time to reply further on that thread.

Cheers, Ian W.

P.S.  BTW, I had a look at the 4.8 features page and there was no table for
KDE Games.  I wanted to edit it in, but got lost in a jungle of syntax and
became afraid of breaking something important.

[1] Real deadline: the members' annual subscriptions are paid in November.