[Kde-games-devel] Re: Building and packaging concerns for KDE Games

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzerf at gmail.com
Thu May 26 15:38:17 CEST 2011

[Ian Wadham - Donnerstag, 26. Mai 2011 04:42:59]
> On Wednesday 25 May 2011 10:07:47 pm Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> > On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 4:17 AM, Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> > > I suggest we might have several groupings in KDE Games: libraries,
> > > currently maintained games, current games without a maintainer,
> > > extragear, discontinued and perhaps playground - maybe data too.
> >
> > I don't know how that relates to that, but projects.kde.org defines a
> > tree structure of projects (where one repo == one project). The games
> > could either become grouped in a single "kdegames" repository (like
> > http://projects.kde.org/projects/kdegames/kgoldrunner), or there could
> > AFAIK also be additional groups below the kdegames group (like
> > http://projects.kde.org/projects/kdegames/maintained/kdiamond).
> >
> Thanks, Stefan.  That approach would at least let everyone know what
> KDE games exist and can be built/released/distributed.  A division into
> maintained/unmaintained might help people decide what to build, etc.

I am not sure, separating the games into maintained and unmaintained games
on projects.kde.org. In my opinion it is not crucial for a user or a
packager, what games have an active maintainer. This information is only
important for the development team. The techbase page should be enough
for that.
Or do you see any advantage for packagers or users in that separation that
I miss?

> One project, KDE Graphics, has some kind of super-repository which
> is supposed to contain code to build all the graphics apps, but cannot
> clone (check out) all the apps.  Should we have something like that
> in KDE Games on git?

I think it is a good idea to have that. But I am not sure how it can
be implemented. There are submodules ... which might be enough for
checking out the sources for a release. They are not working well for
development though. And then there is Alex, who did some CMake magic
to accomplish something like that. But I did not look into it.

The Edu team is quit active and they are doing a great job laying some
ground work and evaluating things. The kdegames team could benefit
from that. :)

> > There is also somewhere on projects.kde.org (don't know where exactly)
> > an XML file containing all defined projects grouped in the same way.
> >
> Maybe you are thinking of  http://projects.kde.org/projects/kde-build-metadata
> but that project is empty at the moment, apart from the description.

I think he means: http://projects.kde.org/kde_projects.xml

Regards