[Kde-games-devel] Qt5 outlook

Stefan Majewsky stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com
Fri May 13 10:46:39 CEST 2011

Hey everyone,

I've been following the qt5-feedback list since it was announced, in
order to ensure that our requirements are well represented. The most
impacting topic for us is probably Qt Quick 2. Here is the executive
summary:
1. Starting with Qt 5, Qt Quick 2 (i.e. QML objects on an OpenGL
canvas) will be the recommended way to create user interfaces, with
QWidgets being available as a compatibility layer.
2. QGraphicsView and friends is considered stable, and still
recommended for rendering big numbers of items, since QGraphicsItems
have less overhead than QML's QObject-derived elements.
3. Qt3Support is obviously going away.

What does this mean?
1. For any new code, the single best choice for a canvas currently is
QGraphicsView, supported by KGameRenderer as necessary. In the long
term, we can look at migrating game canvases to Qt Quick 2, too, in
order to take advantage of the capabilities of OpenGL (i.e.
bling-bling) and to simplify the codebase.
2. Qt3Support and KDE3Support uses need to be removed. I remember to
have cleared much of it in Kolf in the 4.6 cycle, but there is still
some Q3* in KSudoku and some Q3* and K3* in ksirk/iris. [1][2]

These are our duties. What are our wishes? Does anyone of you need
something in Qt which isn't there at the moment? Is there something
e.g. in libkdegames which we might want to upstream into Qt? If so,
please take the chance to speak up.

Greetings
Stefan

[1] http://lxr.kde.org/search?filestring=kde%2Fkdegames%2F*&advanced=1&string=Q3*