[Kde-games-devel] Getting .ogg sound files to play with TagaroAudio, libsndfile and openal

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue May 3 06:48:35 CEST 2011

Hi guys,

I am having trouble getting *.ogg sound files to play, using TagaroAudio,
libsndfile and openal.  TagaroAudio tells me:

    Failed to load sound file. Error message from libsndfile follows.
    File contains data in an unimplemented format.

Pursuing this on libsndfile's website http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/
I see that Ogg/Vorbis has been supported since version 1.0.18 and I have
version 1.0.24 installed, which seems to be the latest.  More googling
revealed that there are versions of libsndfile 1.0.24 floating around that
are compiled *without* Ogg/Vorbis support (e.g. on maemo).

So I did a "strings" command and a "grep" on my installed libsndfile.so.1.0.24
file and found embedded strings:

    Error : Sample rate chosen is known to trigger a Vorbis encoder bug
    on this CPU.
    This version of libsndfile was compiled without Ogg/Vorbis support.

I can keep going with *.wav files for now, but I do not wish to regress the
files on trunk/kdegames in KGoldrunner.

OTOH, if this is a platform-dependent thing, how can we test and build
for it?  Or must we revert to *.wav for all KDE Games sound files, just to
be safe, when we move to TagaroAudio and OpenAL?

I have OpenSuSE 11.2 distro and Intel Core Duo T2450 @ 2.00GHz CPU,
with 82801G audio controller.  I think it is a fairly standard config of some
time ago.  It is in a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop.

Any suggestions?
Cheers, Ian W.