[Kde-games-devel] Re: Move Tagaro code into SVN?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun May 1 06:43:14 CEST 2011

On Friday 15 April 2011 6:35:06 am Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:47 PM, Parker Coates
>
> <parker.coates at kdemail.net> wrote:
> > If it means adding a new library for distributions to package, I think
> > it has to go through kdereview, even if it does so with a "this is not
> > a stable API" disclaimer. It's a relatively big change, so I think
> > third parties (packagers, build system folks, translators, etc.)
> > should have the opportunity to point out issues it may cause for them.
>
> Let's take this question to k-c-d. Some background for the new readers
>
> from my mail which started this thread:
> > Would anybody mind if I moved the Tagaro source tree inside kdegames SVN,
> > in a separate subdirectory? It will explicitly be described as an
> > experimental and private library, with headers being installed only when
> > the undocumented option -DINSTALL_HIGHLY_UNSTABLE_TAGARO_INCLUDES is
> > given to CMake. [...]
> > I know that this proposed procedure bypasses kdereview effectively, but
> > big parts of Tagaro are already source-copied into kdegames somewhere,
> > like TagaroAudio in Granatier and parts of TagaroInterface in Kolf. Also,
> > KGameRenderer from libkdegames shares much with TagaroGraphics, so there
> > is not much new code in there. Besides, I will of course issue a public
> > review via kdereview when the library API is stabilized and goes public.
>
> P.S. Everyone is invited to review the code, of course. Look at the
> current master branch of kde:libtagaro.

So where did we go with this?  I do not see Tagaro in KDE Reviewboard.

I am asking because I have just re-written the KGoldrunner sound class
to try out TagaroAudio (cloned from Granatier), OpenAL and libsndfile.

They work *brilliantly*!  Never have the KGoldrunner sounds played so well:
crisp, clear, properly overlapped and spot-on for timing and synchronisation.
And the API is *so* easy to use!  Congratulations, Stefan!  Great job!  I need
to look at some details now, but you can expect a rave review from me!

More to the point, I would like to use OpenAL sound and TagaroAudio in
the KDE 4.7 version of KGoldrunner.  So how should I proceed?  Also,
I just missed the Soft Feature Freeze by a couple of days.  Can I still
get the feature in?  There should not be any new messages.

BTW, KGoldrunner sound is still disabled in KDE 4.6.  It will not work for me.
I have been trying to sort this out over at the KDE Multimedia list.

All the best, Ian W.