[Kde-games-devel] Re: GSoC and Knights

Parker Coates parker.coates at kdemail.net
Tue Mar 15 20:22:39 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 13:12, Miha Čančula wrote:
> 2011/3/15 Parker Coates
>> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 16:50, Miha Čančula wrote:
>>> 2. In the event that I get accepted as a student (for something else,
>>> but still KDE) would anyone be prepared to take over mentorship for
>>> Knights? It uses the KDE technologies as much as possible, so there
>>> shouldn't be any unknown code in it. The code base isn't large, and I
>>> tried to document its design, but if there are any questions about the
>>> code I'll try my best to answer.
>>
>> The first part of the task (saving games to file) is quite straight
>> forward and could easily be mentored by anyone with basic Qt
>> development experience. The second (and in my estimation, much larger)
>> part, however, I think requires quite a bit of high-level chess
>> knowledge. As a non-chess-player, I really don't know why one would
>> want to analyse a set of positions and how one would best do so. I
>> think this would severely limit my ability to mentor the development
>> of such a UI, so I think you'll need a mentor with more chess
>> experience.
>
> Well, unfortunately I don't know much about chess and its players either.
> And I think you're right, there should be someone involved that knows what's
> to be done. So I suppose it's not the best idea for this year.

I wouldn't necessarily say that: the idea seems like a good one. :)

 I was just saying that not just any dev would make a good mentor for
this project. You should put out a call (on your blog maybe?) for
someone who's a KDE dev and Knights user that might be interested in
being a mentor. It certainly couldn't hurt.

Parker