[Kde-games-devel] Re: [Kde-scm-interest] RFC: git move proposal; "duolithic" kdegames

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Thu Mar 3 01:38:59 CET 2011

On Wednesday, March 02, 2011 23:31:12 Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> [crosspost kde-games-devel + kde-scm-interest]
>
> Heya,
>
> I've been thinking about the Git move again. I'm still in favor of the
> monolithic approach for organizational reasons, e.g. I really like
> Aaron's argument that a single repo makes drive-by contributions from
> outside itch-scratchers easier.

> 1. A new [svn] module kdegames-data is created into which all binary data
> files are moved. kdegames-data is declared to have a build-time
> dependency on kdegames.

Last I heard is that the svn repository is not intended to hang around
indefinitely (i.e. why have two different repos?). I do agree that svn is
probably a much better place for large binary files than git due to the nature
of git.

However I have heard nothing concrete as to when or how it is intended to
terminate usage of the svn repository so don't take too much away from this,
other than we as a community might need to look at how we're going to handle
large binaries if not in svn.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne