[Kde-games-devel] Kpat solvers

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Thu Jan 27 10:46:03 CET 2011

Hi,

Just so you know: I subscribed now and I don't like the approach the patch is
taking.

I'm fine with having a 2nd implementation of freecell and simsimon solvers,
but patching the fc-solve library into the patsolve algorithm is very, very
ugly.

So from my perspective you should send individual patches to
- add the library functions you need to dump the board
- change the rules of simple simon - but I find the current way of simply
  allowing meta moves without any animations very confusing. So I would reject
  that patch if it's just a snippet from the current patch. I would prefer
  solving the original game
- make the interface to the solver abstract to allow plugging in different
  solvers in there (note that Parker discussed that independent of you and we
  have goals that will be harder to achieve with your current work, so it
  would have been better if you contacted me earlier about your plans)
- add solvers for freecell that will replace the patsolve ones if fc-solve is
  found as library. I don't want fc-solve as hard requirement. fc-solve is
  surely very fast and more correct, but if it takes 2 or 800ms to solve the
  patience game is of little interest in the context of kpat.

Beside that: I tested your patch and simple simon game 177 kills my computer
while solving. It looks like you didn't implement limits. patsolve is
configured to give up solving after using 30MB.

Greetings, Stephan