[Kde-games-devel] Tagaro as an application?

Mon Jan 17 00:04:01 CET 2011

Hi,

this is sort of a braindump, and a request for comments.

I'm currently booted into a newly-installed Windows 7 and watching the Steam
client download some games I own. [1] I don't know if you know Steam. Steam
itself is a web/cloud-based game distribution and community-building platform,
decomposed into a website (steampowered.com) and a client application for
Win/Mac. The client provides access to a library of games, downloads updates,
records highscores and achievements, manages contacts and friendships, and
displays advertisements.

This experience made me think whether a similar model might be beneficial for
kdegames. I mean a central application for all the plumbing around the actual
gameplay:
* downloading content (levels or levelpacks) and keeping it up-to-date
* managing highscores
* downloading and selecting themes
* GGZ matchmaking
* managing saved games

Let's call this app "Tagaro Center" for now. So for example, imagine that you
fire up Tagaro Center and it tells you: "Heya, do you want to continue playing
this KGoldRunner game that you left yesterday at 23:17, or do you want to
download the Puzzle of the Day [2] from the Palapeli server? By the way, the
Egyptian theme for KPat has been updated. I'm fetching the update right now
and will activate it on the KPat window over there when it's done."

From the technical side, centralizing these aspects has the advantage that we
do not need to specify public API for this in libtagaro. (And even if this
approach fails, the API can be added later, while the inverse operation is
BIC.)

It can also simplify the application code considerably. For example, this
change would mean that Palapeli would become an MDI application, with Tagaro
Center managing the puzzles and Palapeli being reduced to the puzzle table.

I'm not aware whether this infrastructure would be good or bad for the GGZ
side of things. (Josef?) I can however imagine that having a single client
that connects to the GGZ server is the simpler design.

The obvious downside is that there is yet another application involved in the
whole gaming process, which might confuse new users and increase the memory
footprint, but what do you think? Is it worth to try out this concept?

Greetings
Stefan

P.S. If we do this, we should keep the Gluon devs in the loop to ensure that
Tagaro Center can operate as a platform for Gluon apps (if this is possible; I
don't know any specifics about the ontology of Gluon apps and components).
Interoperability with any other game frameworks is a subordinated goal.

[1] I never paid for these games, I've just been at the right places at the
right times when they gave away Portal and Half Life 2 for free.
[2] Setting up a server that converts Images of the Day (e.g. from Wikipedia)
to Puzzles of the Day is a long-standing idea of mine, which I did not realize
yet.