[Kde-games-devel] Re: Active Games?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 01:27:58 CEST 2011

On Friday 15 April 2011 11:09:51 pm Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > unlike many other desktop apps, however, i think it would be a big
> > improvement for most of the games to not rely on menubars :)
>
> There are probably quite some people (including me) who like the
> classical menubar/toolbar/statusbar appearance on a desktop
> formfactor.
>
> I recently played around a bit with KXMLGUI, and I think it should be
> possible to extend the KXMLGUIFactory with some custom components,
> i.e. replacements for menubars and toolbars, which can be used on
> non-desktop formfactors, or also on the desktop when in fullscreen
> mode.

Playing on touch-screen devices lately I notice that, where a menu is
required, there is just one button in the corner or maybe just one
gesture (e.g. >=3 fingers touch) to either terminate the game or bring
up a menu, as appropriate to the game.  The menu is then just a series
of whole screens, much as in classic full-screen PC games.  I think
KXMLGUI could easily lay out the menus this way.

! would prefer this in the desktop format even (as an option), to
release more real estate for the actual game, as well as giving a
more "game-like" look and feel.  I am having trouble getting my
grandkids (aged 2, 4 and 5) interested in KDE games, ATM ... :-)
They all seem to head for my wife's tablet or phone ... :-) ... not
that I mind that usually.

Cheers, Ian W.

P.S. Why do we need a title bar, even?  Most KDE games are instantly
recognizable visually.