[Kde-games-devel] A Thought About The Version Control System

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon Apr 11 07:38:18 CEST 2011

Hi all,

there was some discussion here about whether and how kdegames should
transition from Subversion to Git, including a discussion whether to keep
everything in a single repository or to split each games into a different
repository. The reason for the entire discussion is because due to the large
history and many binary files in the svn repository, the resultant git
repository will be extremely large.

What I suggest considering is keep the repository as a Subversion one and
working with it remotely using Git, Mercurial, Bzr or whatever, possibly while
starting from a later snapshot. The reason is that distributed version control
(DVCS) is not very suitable for games (though it is much more apparent in
large-scale commercial games than for the KDE games package):

http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?joel.3.786992.2

Note that in his presentation, Joel Spolsky claimed that Fog Creek's Kiln
product - http://www.fogcreek.com/kiln/ - (based on mercurial) has "large
binary file support", but this is a proprietary product, and I don't know
exactly how it works.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish