[Kde-games-devel] TagaroAudio: Call for testing

Sun Sep 19 08:15:51 CEST 2010

Hi folks,

last week, I read into the OpenAL specification and implemented TagaroAudio.
The API is, by design, a complete antithesis of GluonAudio: Instead of
providing a Qt-style wrapper for OpenAL's functions, it hides OpenAL
completely. Should we later become aware of a better solution than OpenAL for
platform-independent low-latency sound, then we can easily switch because the
API is not designed for OpenAL, but for what we need: simple sound playback.

There is only one exception to this rule: The API includes support for
positional playback, that is: making the sound come from certain directions by
varying gain and balance at the sound driver level. (Think of the sound as a
spatially located loudspeaker.)

And that's where I need your help. I cannot get positional playback to work.
When I play a sound at the listener's position, it's exactly as loud as when I
play it 100000 metres away from the listener.

However, the same problem occurs when I use GluonAudio for positional
playback. It might therefore be a problem with my sound driver instead of
TagaroAudio. So here's my call for testing: Please compile Tagaro [2], then
compile the attached test application. (You might need to change the hard-
coded sound file location, if that file does not exist on your site. WAV,
Ogg/Vorbis and FLAC sounds are supported at the moment.) When you start the
application, you should hear that sound from 10000 metres distance, then
(after a delay of about 4 seconds) hear the same sound from your position.
10000 metres means that you should not hear the first sound at all, because
sound playback is IMO cut off at 1000 metres. Decrease the literal constant in
line 10 of test.cpp to move the first sound nearer to the listener.

Please report back if the positional playback works for you.

Greetings
Stefan

[1] git clone git://git.bethselamin.de/tagaro.git
[2] Tagaro requires kdelibs 4.5, OpenAL 1.1, and libsndfile >= 1.0.18.