[Kde-games-devel] klickety for kde4 landed

Parker Coates parker.coates at kdemail.net
Thu Sep 2 16:19:41 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 06:55, nihui wrote:
> hi all
>
> I have finished rewritting klickety.
> code is in trunk/playground/games/klickety/

Hello Ni,

Great work! It's looking quite solid already. I'd like to do a
thorough code review at some point, but who knows if I'll ever get
around to that, so here are some first impressions:

 * You should add Klickety to playground/games/CMakeLists.txt so that
it gets built as part of the module.

 * The toolbar feels quite full to me. I think putting the Quit action
in the toolbar is quite uncommon in KDE apps. I'm also not sure if
Show Highscores and Restart Game are used often enough to justify
their rather large buttons. That's just personal opinion, though.

* I feel the "Random Board" setting is quite awkward. (I realise it's
the same one used in KSame, but it bugs me there too.) I'd much rather
see the system from KPat and KMahjongg used. A "New" action starts a
new, random game and a second "New Numbered X" action is provided for
opening a specific game. For Klickety "X" is probably "Game" or
"Board".

* This is just personal aesthetic preference, but instead of
everything sliding left as columns are removed, I think it'd look
better if the remaining columns were centred on in the scene.

* In the score dialog, it might make sense to show the "Remain pieces"
column before the "Time" column as presumably the former trumps the
latter. Also "Remain pieces" isn't valid English. Maybe "Remaining
Pieces" or "Pieces Left"?

* In the config dialog, it might make sense to move the Custom Game
settings from their own page to the group box on the almost empty
General page.

* A while back there was some consensus on the list to use the word
"Appearance" in the UI instead of "Theme", but looking around at our
current games it seems that didn't actually catch on. I wonder why.

* As you're probably aware, KSame and Klickety are nearly identical
games. The possibility of merging them has been discussed a few times
[1] [2]. Klickety seems to be flexible enough to accommodate a KSame
like game, so the only major remaining difference that I see is the
scoring. While I personally prefer Klickety style scoring, the two are
sufficiently different to both be valid. Do you think it would be
possible to add a KSame mode to Klickety that removes the difficulty
selector, changes the statusbar items and replaces the scoring system?
If this were possible and you were interested in doing so, we (or at
least I personally) would be quite interested in replacing KSame with
Klickety at some point in the future. Of course we would also need a
KSame like theme.

Please don't be intimidated by the length of the list above. I think
the game is looking really great and has quite a bit of potential.

Parker

[1] http://markmail.org/message/lxx7vciadqo4mntk
[2] http://markmail.org/message/j7tg3zp3fiyagwfq