[Kde-games-devel] Regarding Mancala

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Wed May 5 02:28:02 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 05 May 2010 5:31:19 am Gaël (aka Kleag) wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 May 2010 10:53:52 Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> > Am Montag, 3. Mai 2010 23:51:03 schrieb Mauricio Piacentini:
> > > So I do not disagree, but I am not sure how we should handle this.
> > > Maybe it-s is right, and we should simply purge most games and
> > > implement a new level of quality needed (let us say for 4.6). Then we
> > > would only have very good games in the module, but I believe only 4 or
> > > 5 now would make the cut (KPat, KGoldrunner and maybe 2 or 3 more).
> > > This might not be a bad thing after all, it can be a shake up that
> > > will produce better stuff in the near future.
>
> Personally, I think that the current number of games is a good thing and
>  each time (not so often) I play one or the other, I'm happy to see it and
>  it works globally good. Too much quality kills quality...

I agree wholeheartedly and would be radically opposed to any sort of
"revolution" such as we had in the KDE 3 to KDE 4 transition, in which
worthwhile games were dropped simply because they had no one
available to convert them and re-write the graphics code.

It would be more sensible to identify existing games that require work
to improve the quality (e.g. add a tutorial or a demo) and then persuade
people to undertake that work or offer it in next year's GSoC.

The idea of canning a game because it does not have a tutorial is anathema
to me.  Where are all those kids who used to run round computer expos in
the 70s and 80s pressing every key in sight until they found out how a game
worked?  Some of them may be here ... :-)

Mind you I have no objection to raising the bar for *new* games or at
least getting the author to agree to producing the needed features in
future versions.

All the best, Ian W.