[Kde-games-devel] Review Request: Added difficuly level into kbounce.

Parker Coates parker.coates at kdemail.net
Fri Mar 19 21:03:04 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 13:53, Andreas Scherf wrote:
> Hi,
> i just have used the option "clean indentation". The problem for now is that i
> would like to rewrite much of the codebase from kbounce to enhance speed and
> remove the open bugs. For example BUG 162527 and BUG 228063.
> But if i always have to wait weeks or month until this would be reviewed this
> would be a pain. You are right, that the diff look awfull, but in the web
> http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/3077/diff/5/#index_header
> it looks ok.

That's definitely a weakness of ReviewBoard. I too hadn't realised how
bad the diff was until I downloaded it.

> I took the orignal kde code formating rules. I even thought that
> im using them. Most of the code has indeed different formating it seems that
> some guys have used differnt editors or differnt indenting rules.

The official KDE formatting rules really only apply to kdelibs. Other
KDE subprojects may or may not have their own formatting rules. In
KDEGames, each application has its own and the expectation is that new
contributions follow the style of the existing code.

For cases like this, I would encourage you to write a ".kateconfig"
file in the project directory to override your personal Kate settings
when working in that directory. It can save you a lot of hassle. See
the Killbots directory for an example.

> My only wish is to rise the quality of kbounce so that it is playable and nice
> for the userbase.

I certainly understand that and I'm sorry if all this nitpicking has
made us seem ungrateful. The goal of this patch is a good one and we'd
like to see it applied. No question. However, we really have to be
fairly strict about these things as otherwise the codebase will
devolve into a big ugly styling free-for-all. This is especially true
of new contributors (no offence), as there as no guarantee that
they'll stick around to clean up any messes they make.

KBounce has had way to little attention lately and a few relatively
simple patches like this could do a lot of good. We appreciate them.

> I think i cancel this patch and start from the beginning. Maybee.

Personally, I would agree that that is probably the easiest thing at
this point. If I were you, I would:
 1. Revert the entire KBounce directory back to current trunk.
 2. Work out the correct editor configuration and write a .kateconfig file.
 3. Using the current version of the patch on ReviewBoard as a guide
and recreate all the *intentional* changes on top of the clean code
base.
 4. Submit the resulting diff as version 5 to ReviewBoard.

Parker