[Kde-games-devel] kajongg in kdereview since 1 month

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Wed Mar 17 01:11:17 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Wolfgang Rohdewald
<wolfgang at rohdewald.de> wrote:
> This adds new dependencies: alsa-utils and mpg123
> because Phonon does not work correctly with short
> sound files - if I queue several short sound files,
> playing overlaps (using the AboutToFinish()
> signal for queuing the next file). mpg123 because
> .wav is too big for transmission, and playing
> mp3 files directly with mpg123 results in distorted
> noise at least on my kubuntu karmic.
> mpg123 -a /dev/dsp works correctly but I do
> not like  having to specify a device

Notice that this is not the ideal solution. Phonon has its
shortcomings, but it should be used as the default in order to reduce
dependencies for people packaging KDE. Ogg Vorbis or wav should be
used for sound, as requiring mp3 is probably not good for US-based
distros (and we should promote free formats, or course.) Some games
use .wav because apparently it plays better for short sounds, maybe
you could try this with Phonon?
In the (near) future we will have another option with the Gluon sound
libraries, so hopefully the situation should improve.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini