[Kde-games-devel] kajongg in kdereview since 1 month

Parker Coates parker.coates at kdemail.net
Wed Mar 17 01:06:23 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 19:44, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> On Mittwoch 17 März 2010, Johannes Obermayr wrote:
>> I prepare the RPM spec file for openSUSE. All dependencies
>> should be OK, but I get on every call only this error:
>>
>> "* kajongg modules: No module named sound"
>>
>> What must I do for resolving this error?
>
> you need kajongg/src/sound.py.
>
> I added that file while kajongg was in kdereview,
> with commit r1102767
>
> this is the beginning of adding voices for the players,
> I am currently working on finishing that. So a player
> can record voices for himself and for the robot players,
> and his voice will be transmitted to the other human
> players. That makes playing more similar to a real
> world game without kajongg.
>
> This adds new dependencies: alsa-utils and mpg123
> because Phonon does not work correctly with short
> sound files - if I queue several short sound files,
> playing overlaps (using the AboutToFinish()
> signal for queuing the next file). mpg123 because
> .wav is too big for transmission, and playing
> mp3 files directly with mpg123 results in distorted
> noise at least on my kubuntu karmic.
> mpg123 -a /dev/dsp works correctly but I do
> not like  having to specify a device

I'm no expert on this topic, but I could see this causing some serious
problems. For one, I'm quite certain that alsa-utils isn't going to be
available on all our supported platforms. mpg123 I don't know about.

I also don't really think that we should be shipping MP3s as part of
KDEGames due to both legal and ethical concerns. Is there any reason
you couldn't be using Vorbis?

Parker