[Kde-games-devel] Generic Card Game Framework

John Schneiderman JohnMS at member.fsf.org
Tue Mar 16 17:01:48 CET 2010

On Monday 15 March 2010 10:31:11 Parker Coates wrote:
> I'm not in any way claiming that there isn't a need for such a
> framework, just that there was no existing generic code in KDEGames to
> handle such things so there was nothing to extract into
> LibKCardGame.My intention was to clarify that LibKCardGame had a more
> limited scope than KardsGT, not that there was anything wrong with
> KardsGT's expanded functionality.

Okay, no problem. Just wanted to see if there was some philosophical intention
in only having a rendering library.

> Okay, so I've had a few minutes to look into the KardsGT sources. The
> biggest "concern" I found was that it's using a cards-as-widgets
> approach. KDEGames has almost entirely switched over to canvas-based
> UIs (either KGameCanvas or more commonly nowadays QGraphicsView) as
> they tend to make writing attractive, scalable UIs easier. I could see
> that being a problem for KardsGT when attracting new game developers,
> but of course switching from QWidgets to a canvas is certainly not a
> trivial change. What are your thoughts on this?

I would be certainly willing to switch from widgets to canvas. Though, I would
need assistance as I've not worked with either KGameCanvas or QGraphicsView,
and as I detailed earlier I'm not that familiar with graphics programming.

John S.