[Kde-games-devel] kajongg in kdereview since 2 weeks

Wolfgang Rohdewald wolfgang at rohdewald.de
Wed Mar 3 10:14:37 CET 2010

On Monday 01 March 2010, Jeremy Wickersheimer wrote:
> Well imho there is a usability issue, i think starting the
> game is too complicated for no special reason right now. The
> player name is not important at all, you could use the KDE or
> unix name.

the player name is displayed everywhere, I would not like to
be called KDE. So for me the name matters. But for local games
I changed it such that anything can be entered, and that user
name is automatically created. For the first
run after installation the full username as defined in
kdecore.KUser is proposed.

> The default screen could simply be a combo box to select the
> rules, and a start button. Think that 99% percent of your
> players probably will just want to start a single player
> game, whatever the rules. Only advanced players will consider
> rules tweaking or multiplayer.

There is always a game server involved, I do not want to
obscure this too much. But I committed some more changes:

1. in the server combo box, a new entry "Local Game" (in the
local language of course)

2. if that entry is selected, the login dialog does not ask
for a password but instead for a ruleset.

3. if you login with server == 'Local Game', a game against
3 robots is automatically started without further dialogs

4. For local games, the game server is no longer connected
over TCP but over a Unix socket - so no port is opened

3. localhost for the server has no special meaning anymore,
so if you enter localhost, the server starts using TCP and
the table list appears. This is still useful - just give
your IP out to other players, and they can connect to your
game server - your firewall allowing this.

The manual is not yet updated.

I hope this makes it easy enough. Just press on the "play
a game" toolbar button and hit Return or Space in the
login dialog.

--
Wolfgang