[Kde-games-devel] KGameRenderer Porting Experience

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jul 29 04:43:46 CEST 2010

On July 28, 2010, Parker Coates wrote:
> Now I'm certainly not saying that we should make everything virtual
> just in case someone someday might need to customise it, but there are
> probably some methods that are more likely to need custom code.
> Personally, I think KGameRenderer::setTheme() and

virtual methods are double edged swords at times. in plasma, we opted for
signals for things like theme change notification. it allows any object to
then "do the right thing" and has been invaluable in our usage of theming in
plasma. if you do go that route, just be sure that the signal has a stated
policy of -when- it is emitted (e.g. before or after the setTheme() work is
 done).

> === QPixmap Warnings ===
>
> Games using KGR in a K_GLOBAL_STATIC (ex:
 KDiamond, Killbots)
> currently generate a lot of "~QX11PixmapData(): QPixmap objects must
> be destroyed before the QApplication object, otherwise the native
> pixmap object will be leaked." warnings at shutdown. Do we care? If we

it's a bogus warning. you can ignore it.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a