[Kde-games-devel] Pixmap leak?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 02:58:16 CEST 2010

On Sunday 04 July 2010 7:21:39 am Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> On Donnerstag 01 Juli 2010, Ian Wadham wrote:
> > In the process I gave myself a new $KDEHOME area, so every
> > game is starting with an empty config file.  When a game
> > finishes, I get 5 or 6 copies of the message shown below, but
> > there are no messages like that after the second and
> > subsequent runs of the game.  It happens with every game I
> > have tried so far.  So I think it must be related to some
> > library.  Any ideas anyone?
> >
> > ~QX11PixmapData(): QPixmap objects must be destroyed before
> > the QApplication object, otherwise the native pixmap object
> > will be leaked.
>
> in theory, kajongg should show the same problem. Did you
> try it? I never saw this message but then I only use
> precompiled kubuntu 4.6.3 libqt, it is years since I
> compiled Qt or KDE for the last time.

I cannot get Kajongg to run in my build, perhaps because it is
a Python program and I know very little about Python or perhaps
there is something Pythonesque missing from my build.

I like to (have to?) build the latest KDE and Qt trunk, especially
just before a release, in case of library changes affecting my code
(I am getting quite paranoid about those), but also to keep up with
developments in other KDE Games, which (maddeningly) will not
compile, in some cases, unless you have the latest trunk libraries.

Like you, I would much prefer to stick with an older set of libraries for
a year or two and that has always been my practice (in industry on UNIX
servers) before I retired and joined KDE Games.  You get much more
application development work done that way - and happier end-users.

All the best, Ian W.

P.S. In my last job, I was one of the key players who monitored up-and-
coming changes to libraries and software and worked out when, if and
how best to introduce them.  It involved a lot of testing and benchmarking
of existing applications against new software, but only for a few of us.