[Kde-games-devel] RFC: Rename KBattleShip and KTron

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Sat Jan 23 20:32:24 CET 2010

On Sat 23 January 2010 4:10:25 am Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> Should we preemptively rename Plasma as well?

The problem is that Hasbro holds copyright to the name Battleship with regards
to "computer game programs and accessories for use therewith"[1]. Which I
would think is a -lot- more close of a risk than simply sharing a name with
another software in a different field.

It's more than the fact that they share a name with trademarked items, it's
that they share a name with trademarked items, where the trademarks are held
in the same field (in this case computer games) that is the issue.

[1]: That is [2] in my first email, but apparently the USPTO's site is garbage
and has very strange sessions rules, so you have to search to get to it :(
Trademark's serial is 76370446 and IC is "009. US 021 023 026 036 038"

--
Ryan Rix
Fedora KDE SIG Member, Phoenix AZ Ambassador, News KDE Beat writer

New Mail address: phrkonaleash at gmail.com -> ry at n.rix.si !!
http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://identi.ca/phrkonaleash
XMPP: phrkonaleash at gmail.com          | MSN: phrkonaleash at yahoo.com
AIM:  phrkonaleash                    | Yahoo: phrkonaleash
IRC:  PhrkOnLsh at irc.freenode.net/#srcedit,#plugaz,#fedora-kde and
      countless other FOSS channels.