[Kde-games-devel] kblocks new version...

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Thu Jan 21 16:00:14 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Parker Coates
<parker.coates at kdemail.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 04:21, Dapeng Zhang wrote:
>> Tadeusz Andrzej � wrote:
>>> - Avoid huge commits. A series of smaller changes is easier to track for other
>>>   people. Work in the open.
>>>
>> I thought that people will be fed up by small changes...
>
> Quite the opposite. Ideally only one significant change should be made
> in each commit. There are plenty of reasons for this.
> Wow, I just wrote way more than I intended. Please don't take this as
> a personal attack, Dapeng. :) I just got carried away.

Very useful advice, Parker.

As for KBlocks, I played the new version and it looks ok. There is
still one problem: pause does not work when you click the button for
the first time, but it will work if you click it again, and in the
subsequent tries.
I believe the refactoring as it is could be moved to replace the
current version, so it will be the version released for KDE 4.5.
Dapeng mentioned that he and his team are willing to be the
maintainers, and I will step aside as soon as the move is done. Of
course, I will be around to help them with the transition if needed.
In time, I believe you guys will get the hang of how to work with the
KDE Games team, and with KDE in general. But basically what Tadeusz
said is a good starting point: you have to start working in the open,
and commit minimal changes as they are developed, so others have a
chance to participate as well. You mentioned that Zhongjie does not
like to receive many emails a day, but active participation at least
monitoring this list and responding to bugs.kde.org is a requirement
for maintainership. If he is not willing to do this, then maybe you
could step up, or someone else from your team.
If, on the other hand, you guys are not planning to stay around in the
long term (at least for a couple of releases) then we have to discuss
this move again...

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini