[Kde-games-devel] Palapeli preview window survey

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 15:23:41 CEST 2010

On Monday 16 August 2010 9:51:37 pm Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Monday 16 August 2010 05:27:56 Ian Wadham wrote:
> > I ran out of time last night, so I have not been able to get it to "click
> > through", i.e. let the main Palapeli::View see mouse-clicks that are made
> > on the magnifier.  So, if the magnifier follows the mouse (a config
> > option maybe), I have to offset it a bit, which makes it not so easy to
> > use, e.g. view a piece here, click it a centimetre or two further away
> > ... :-)
>
> I think you want magnifier->setAttribute(Qt::WA_TransparentForMouseEvents);

Hey, that's brilliant!  It works now.  Still needs some tuning, though.  It
also helped to remove "setInteractive (false);" ... :-)  This Qt has more
wrinkles than my grandma ... or me for that matter ... :-)

> > Interesting, especially the "full screen" aspect.  Onwards to touch
> > screens! (See another thread).  BTW I am using the corners for the
> > solution window, not having a second monitor.  That's a rather old blog
> > page, though.
>
> There has been no progress on this one because I chose another path for the
> Palapeli interface (i.e. what you see there today) which allowed me to get
> stuff done quickly.

Understood.

BTW, if anyone needs or wants to stick with menus and toolbars in fullscreen,
Firefox has a neat solution.  You get a full screen for viewing, but controls
reappear when you mouse up to the top of the screen ... and then only the
essential controls.  Xaos fractal zoomer, although written for X11, has had
a similar solution for several years.  It has a very basic drop-down menu
system, which appears only when you approach the top of the screen, but
when it drops down you can still see the beautiful fractals behind the menus.

All the best, Ian W.