[Kde-games-devel] KScore2

Sun Aug 8 01:44:54 CEST 2010

On Saturday 07 August 2010 05:02:08 Ian Wadham wrote:
> Good luck, Stefan!
However I would much rather see you working
> on making Palapeli easier to
use with larger puzzle sizes, as we
> discussed some while back and as I
have commented recently
> on one of your blog pages.

Yes, I saw that. I do
not exactly know why, but my motivation for Palapeli work is very low at the
moment. This happens to me regularly, which is why I'm always working on
multiple projects at one time to keep me motivated.

> I particularly like
that it has untranslated identifiers for "categories"
> and program-defined
fields.  These can function like the primary keys in a
> relational
database, which never change, leaving the human-readable names
> and values
free to change and be re-translated as time goes on.

Actually, the
distinction between identifier and caption is borrowed from KScoreDialog,
where this problem occurred about two years ago.

> Flexibility for data and
data-definition changes is not so clear.  Could
> one easily add a category
(i.e. group of high-scores) at a later time?
> KGoldrunner sometimes gets
new sets of levels and I have seen at
> least one case where a game added a
level of difficulty.  One should
> also be able to add program-defined
fields (e.g. country of origin?),
> without affecting existing high-scores,
much as one can add a
> column to a relational database table without
affecting existing code.

I've added another section to the KScore2::Model
doc that discusses the topic of compatibility concerns which you raised
here.

> Much is going to depend on presentation IMO, so I hope you are

thinking about that.  I would hate to see truncated columns, for
> example,
and I think some kind of game-designer's choice of the
> table's main header
and sub-header would be good.

Of course. Because the data is pretty static,
I hope that QTableView does most to all of the magic for me.
*crosses-fingers* I'll implement the dialog tomorrow and send a screenshot
around.

Greetings
Stefan