[Kde-games-devel] Helping with KGameRenderer porting

Brian Croom brian.s.croom at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 04:09:39 CEST 2010

Hey all,

I've just joined this list and am responding to Stefan Majewsky's blog
posting<http://majewsky.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/junior-job-kgamerenderer-porting/>(seen
on Planet KDE) about a "junior job" involving porting games to use
KGameRenderer etc. I have wanted to start making code contributions to some
open source desktop project for a while, and am now just finishing up with
an unrelated GSoC project which has whetted my appetite to write more code.
When I saw this blog post it seemed like a nice opportunity to jump in and
do something useful while learning.

I have been coding with C++ for a long time and consider myself proficient
with the language, but have no experience to speak of with Qt. I'd like to
learn! I would appreciate pointers about getting a development environment
set up. How much of the KDE source tree will I need to check out in order to
build the KDE games? My development system is currently running Ubuntu
10.04; can I use the Qt development packages from the repos (4.6.2) or do I
need something more recent? I don't have any KDE packages installed on here
currently but I would still like to keep development stuff self-contained,
i.e. not installed into /usr and such. How difficult is that going to be?

If someone could provide a synopsis of what the new KGameRenderer class(es?)
is/are for and the reasons for the porting, that would be helpful as well.
:)

I'm looking forward to working with you!

--Brian Croom