[Kde-games-devel] Generic names

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 17:08:24 CEST 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Parker Coates
<parker.coates at kdemail.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 09:43, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I've noticed today that KGoldrunner did not show up in the menu as
>> KGoldrunner, but as the Italian translation of
>> "Hunt Gold, Dodge Enemies and Solve Puzzles".
>> I thought that maybe something went wrong with the translation, so I
>> checked out.
>>
>> It turns out that we have now a "GenericName" for games in addition to
>> the Name in desktop files, and that this is preferred to the Name when
>> present.
>
> This very discussion came up almost exactly two years ago. See
> http://kde.markmail.org/thread/m2ji5ucrsehff7yb . Generic names have
> been around for quite a while and which of the two names is preferred
> depends on application launcher used and its configuration. Here is
> what I see, using the default configurations in SC4.4.2:
>
>  - The Kickoff style menu uses Name in bold above GenericName is a
> smaller font, shown only on hover.
>
>  - The tradtional style menu uses Generic-Name (Name).
>
>  - Lancelot uses Name in bold above GenericName is a smaller font.
>
> So the degree of the problem problem depends on the particular
> launcher being used. If the GenericName is shown like a subtitle, then
> many of our existing choices make sense, but if it's shown as the main
> name then most of them do not.

I probably made a mistake, I thought that the "comment" field would be used for
the description, but it uses the generic name for that instead.

I use the "old style" menu (the one that resembles the KDE 3 menu),
and I selected the
"names only" options.
It turns out the "name only" and "description only" actions are
inverted. Anybody can confirm this?
If this is the case, I should notify the bug to the plasma people.

Some cleanup to the generic names could help anyway, though, I'll look
into those too.

Luciano

> In Killbots, I avoid this issue intentionally by just not having a
> GenericName. In such a case, all the menus just fallback to showing
> the Name. Maybe we should decide if this might be a smart option for
> some of the other games, like KGoldrunner which just are what they are
> and can't really be genericised without making things sound awkward of
> forced.
>
> Anyway, you have my blessing to do whatever you like to improve the
> situation and especially to make the GenericNames more consistent.
>
> Parker

Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams