[Kde-games-devel] The Future of Game Development in KDE

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Sat Sep 12 08:26:35 CEST 2009

On Friday 11 September 2009 06:53:40 Arturo Silva wrote:
> > That's be absolutely brilliant - we do need a good lump of help with
> > documentation :)
>
> hehe, you got it!  Just fill in the blank for the gluon mailing list
> and I'll scoot on right over.  Remember, that line is blank in the
> project website itself. ^^;

  Arse, you're right! i wonder how that happened... (seems to have happened
the same time DrIDK added a link to the gitorious project... wonder if the cms
is being weird)

> > A distribution system similar to Steam or
> > Impulse, but for OS-agnostic packages of assets and scripts, doubling as
> > a launcher for them... there's good possibilities in this stuff, but it
> > would make sense to wait until we have the rest running before we start
> > that one :)
>
> Oh certainly (one step at a time).  ^^
> But very happy to see you're thinking along the same wavelength.  The
> concept certainly has me excited, and I'm not even a dev yet.  -v-
>
> Sometimes the unwillingness to self-compile, especially from a git or
> svn source, is really more due to lack of time than lack of skill or
> patience.  For example, tonight I finally got Granatier built --
> however, to say I didn't spend more than a fair amount of time trying
> to build it the last two nights is an understatement.  In an
> environment that can at least guarantee the game will build and run, I
> would have had the time to play, write feedback and offer contribution
> art much earlier (certainly well before the weekend, where I switch
> off from all dev work temporarily).  :P

  Indeed - all the compiling stuff is a great hurdle to getting people
involved with these projects... Especially the more artistically inclined
peoples really never want to see that word (even though many of the programs
used by graphics artists essentially compile things, that fact is never
exposed to the users). But yes, also because, as you say, it takes time :) And
yes, that really is where such an approach would shine :)

--
..Dan // Leinir..
http://leinir.dk/

                          Co-