[Kde-games-devel] The Future of Game Development in KDE

Stefan Majewsky majewsky at gmx.net
Thu Sep 10 22:19:35 CEST 2009

Am Dienstag 08 September 2009 22:31:34 schrieb Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen:
> Right. It's that time where i tell you all what i've been pondering on for
> a while now, so here goes:
>
> http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/1098-The-Future-of-Game-Development-in-
> KDE.html
>
> The writeup really says it all, so, go go go! :)

I'm not sure whether we lower the barrier that much by simply building on
KDevelop. I still have on my list "Write KGameStudio", which should be much
more than this (though I always label this as "research project" when I talk
about it because I do not know whether this is possible at all).

The basics: General Game Theory suggests that any game can be formulated as a
set of objects, and a set of rules that operate on these objects.

What KGameStudio is about: It will (when/if I or someone else starts work on
it) not be a traditional development environment, but a design environment.
You have a bunch of fairly generic objects (e.g. 2D item, player, input
interface, ...), which you combine through rules. These rules have to be
formulated in some special language, or in an interface similar to the script
editor in Warcraft 3 (my Konq is broken because of the 4.3.1 update, so if
someone knows that, please look for and link to a screenshot from the web).

Graphics come in quite naturally: One loads a sample SVG theme, and all named
elements are extracted into some list, which we can use to associate items on
the scene with textures (i.e., named elements from the SVG theme file).

When everything is ready, we save everything to a file, and open this file in
some interpreter shell which instantiates all objects and works through the
rules when events occur. Alternatively, we can generate code from this file,
and compile it to get a native application. (With this way, we could even ship
KGameStudio-based games with kdegames.)

This sketch only includes coders and designers, but if we get this far, it
would already have helped quite a lot, because many many casual games could be
implemented on this basis.

Greetings
Stefan