[Kde-games-devel] The Future of Game Development in KDE

Arturo Silva jasilva28 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 20:27:58 CEST 2009

Should also note that Ren'Py is another reasonably easy-to-use game
development system, even though that one is specific to graphic
novels.  ;)

http://www.renpy.org/

I myself am primarily an artist and document writer, and while I've
long had ambitions of creating my own games, I can never seem to
concentrate as well looking at C++ or Java code as much as I do while
staring at Inkscape.

So I do have an inherent bias in favor of a solution that presumably
would allow me to assemble, say, a quick, dirty and KDE-compatible
Memory or Frogger game by myself without much work beyond drawing the
graphics, setting the sounds, assigning the keymap and mouse click
functions, and writting the help files for it.

Naturally just using the simple GUI features would result in a
playable but very-limited game -- but as long as I could get the game
up and running, perhaps I would have enough morale to dive deeper into
the toolset and underlying code, and add incremental sophistication to
it.

So even if the tool is still in its infancy, from my vantage point
it's a sound idea or at the very least a potential very FUN program to
use.  I'm all for it, as that's in part my dream as well.  :)

============

However, I should note that while I did manage to build Gluon in order
to install Granatier, I have not been able to successfully build
Granatier itself so I still have no idea what a game built with Gluon
would look like

Moreover, would I need to build Gluon Creator via Git and if so will I
be able to get comprehensive instructions for doing so?  These are
just rhetorical questions -- I actually do have some stomach to use
Make commands.

But if you do want the program to be friendly to non-coders, the
development of Gluon Creator itself should be equally friendly, and
"massage" the prospective user that may share your vision [but not
your knowledge or patience].  :D

The glittery graphics are a good start (artistic bias here... ^^' )!
But if possible/feasible, I might also suggest offering binary
packages for the major KDE4 distributions of your milestone snapshots.
 Take it from me, it's psychologically-reassuring to use a program
that installs easily even if the functionality is still suspect. ^^b

--Arturo "C-quel" Silva