[Kde-games-devel] The Future of Kolf

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Tue Sep 8 01:33:18 CEST 2009

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 2:55:10 am Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> I fear Kolf 2 to get stuck in some common dilemma: On the one hand, one
> tends to not release something before it's ready (see Zeng's reply). On the
> other hand, it is very frustrating to work on something on years without
> having a release.

Software can be "ready" without being "mature" IMO.  It just needs to be
usable, reasonably bug-free and with a clear line of further development
and underlying design mapped out, so that features can be added later
without major rewrites.  But that's what the Kolf 2 team is doing, isn't it?

If you can provide 2 or 3 courses with a small set of obstacles, there should
be no worries.  Some people may miss the old courses, but let's see.  Golf
and Kolf are enjoyable because no two rounds of a course are the same.
The course itself does not matter so much as long as it presents challenges.

> Re the possible leave-both solution, I'm afraid we confuse users. It might
> require that Kolf 2 changes its name to something else. Alternatively, we
> could display some message box when one of both programs is started, to
> explain the situation.

As Zeng says, let's wait and see, but I suggest Kolf 1 should change its
name, if it comes down to that, since Kolf 1 is on its way out.  Each program
could have one of those "don't show this again" messages to explain what
is going on.

May I also suggest that Kolf 2 mention the earlier game in credits, etc?

All the best, Ian W.