[Kde-games-devel] Kolf Art?

Arturo Silva jasilva28 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 22:58:32 CEST 2009

>> We are working with a heightmap generator. In the 3D view this alters
>> the terrain with black = low, white = high and in the 2D view this
>> heigtmap is used as a semi-transparent overlay to simulate depth
>> perception.

Ah yes, last night I saw in the editor a section for heightmaps (and
in the images folder, the bitmap for it).  :)

The 3D part is easy to visualize, but I'm trying to visualize in my
head how the 2D portion will look like eventually.  I'm envisioning
that it will:

    a) cast fake shadows around areas of higher elevation, or

    b) make the texture pattern in higher elevations brighter in color
and the ones towards the bottom darker.

If the latter, I think that's how Kolf1 currently handles it (albeit
with the addition of those arrows).

Bottom line, though, is that it definitely sounds like I don't have to
worry about this for a while (if at all), so I'll just focus on
textures for now.  ^^v

Thank you, Casper!