[Kde-games-devel] Improving theme authoring for kgoldrunner

Eugene Trounev [it-s] eugene.trounev at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 18:08:39 CET 2009

I have been following the thread for a while. Well here are my thoughts.

> And how better to test KAL than trying to use it as a backend in
>  KGoldrunner? ;)
I agree. KAL integration would be awesome!

> > IIRC Eugene was against the split between Actors and Set a while back,
> > but maybe he has changed his mind.
He hasn't, but the decision isn't really up to him.

> > Further splits of SVG files also concern me a little, because I do not
> > see how an artist will be able to maintain color balance and contrast
> > across multiple files.
>
> I tend to create a color palette for my own use. But my graphic style
> tend to be on the minimalist side.
Don't worry about it. The way artists usually work is much different from the
way programmers do. Where the later try to split and separate, the artists try
to merge and consolidate :)

> > KGoldrunner is rather sensitive to these things because
> > the tile-layouts in the levels vary visually so much and the figures move
> > around so much.  It has been all too easy to lose sight of enemies, gold
> > or even the hero against some backgrounds and layouts.
>
> Well, I want to load files separately, but you still can import the
> other graphic sets in your vector editor anyway.
Well if you are to split the SVGs into smaller files I really don't see any
reason to keep it SVG. Hi-res PNGs will do the job just fine. The only reason
I insisted on SVGs before is because it's so easy to keep themes tidy, them
being in a singular file.

As for Ian's comment on my themes being too detailed - well I did, and still
do, believe we will keep increasing monitor sizes. So in a matter of 3-5 years
the screens will become gigantic and then all those details will be easily
visible.